Internet sensation Super Awesome Sylvia made an appearance on the main stage! She brought one of her bots with her (a watercolour bot which paints water colour paintings from a scanned image) to show what a young person can do with very little parent/teacher input.
Use of maker ideas (doesn’t have to be electronics) develops a love of learning… for the sake of learning.
Ideas for getting started:
1. Take baby steps – you don’t need to create a fully working robot on your first go. How about something that flashes an LED bulb?
2. Cheap is good. Don’t worry about expensive products. Use off-brand – most of the time it works just as well.
3. Failure happens. You will make mistakes – you will learn from them.
4. Be the student – get along side your kids
5. Don’t sweat the small stuff – just get out there and make something.
Go visit her site and get some making happening.